23.5.07

Self-talk, times two minus one

Poetry Thursday's prompt this week is awesome! Brent Goodman suggested, "The impossible you: imagined dialogue in poems." Trust me, this once, follow that link, look for the post that they will put up tomorrow with links to all the imaginative conversations the participants came up with. Read them all, there is not a one that won't be interesting, funny, heart warming, sad, or otherwise! I can't wait to read them all. Mine is below - and edited to replace the word their with others to avoid a possible meaning I did not intend.



Self-talk, times two minus one


Answer me!

I beg my inner self.

Silence.

So many one-sided
conversations had come
before
as the result of others being

too busy
too tired
too non-interested to bother
too jealous to share happiness
too sad to go outside shell
too selfish to care

my inner self

had shut down.

Please, please,
I whispered in silent prayer
to my inner self
who was, at the time,
totally in control,

I cannot ask him to
open his heart yet again
(it is but a reminder of his own
one-sided conversations that came
before
as the result of others being

too busy
too tired
too non-interesting to share happiness
too sad to go outside shell
too selfish to care

his inner self

shut down)

If you don't answer me,
who will?

I can't live in silence
I can't give more than I do
he can't live in silence
he can't give more than he does

Do you still love me?
Even though he is the
only

other
that does?

You can't shut me out,
because you are the stronger
(of our two selves)
and if you cannot answer
then
I
know
his
will

not
answer
him
and
I
could
not
can
NOT
accept
that
for
him.

ANSWER ME, DAMMIT!
DO
YOU
STILL
LOVE
ME
?

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
Now, stop badgering me, I'm trying to sleep.
And
before
you
ask,

his inner self is sleeping, too.

Stop the freakin' panic.
Now, don't bother me again.

MeeAugraphie
05/23/07

Written in all seriousness and tongue firmly planted somewhere. . . so take my words at your own risk, because the fire in me has been lit! Which translates to, please, do not copy my words without permission! Thanks.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure if I should laugh or cry or be upset. Question for you? When does the inner self become the outer self?

Love the poem Marcia. :)

Rose

xo

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I have no basis for my answer, Rose, other than pure instinct and a little bit of thinking, but my personal conclusion: inner and outer selves are really one taking on different responsibilities -- from the beginning.

My poem could be interpreted different ways, but it really was intended more to display people isolated from family and friends - I felt first person was effective. Now I see other interpretations and that is OK, too. And you can do any or all three of your choices, but I know you know that and are making a point. . . I would be curious to know which emotions it does bring out.

gautami tripathy said...

There is indeed a thin line between inner and outer self. I like the way it goes on.

Clockworkchris said...

This is really nice. Don't you just hate comments like that? I was just kidding. Your poem relaxed me in a way because today all I did was listen to a brat talk to the point that I wanted to remove my ears. Inner dialouge is so much more sane. You made me smile, esp when the lines became one word each.

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Gautami Tripathy - It is always nice to know others recognize that fine line.

ClockworkChris - Glad I made you smile rather than what the brat did.

Thank you both for commenting!

rel said...

Marcia,
I like the premise here and more so the ending. Too many of these inner dialogs end no, no, no and there is the sadness.
rel

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Remiman - I had to have a happy ending on this one to set an example. I'm glad you commented on the ending.

Berni said...

I don't think I get my inner self and outer self mixed up too much. As far as I can see (for myself) they are one and the same.

I do envy your ability to put your thoughts down though.

Thanks for all the lovely comments you left

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Vic Grace - I think you just put your thoughts down quite well, too, but thank you. I do enjoy your site.

Damien Riley said...

Words are like kaleidoscopes. I like coming here to read your combinations of them

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Damien - "Words are like kaleidoscopes" is a wonderful phrase. Thank you for reading my word combinations and commenting.


In my words:

This is but a one-sided conversation;
it takes you to make it more.


I reserve the right to not post comments that I feel are not in keeping with my values on this blog, which basically means: no spam, no blatant advertisements, no hate, no inappropriate language. Agreeing with me is not a requirement, discussion is welcome.

Help Put Peace in the Forefront of our Minds:

mimilenox




BloggerTalk

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory
Life Contrast:
~ Bold & Tentative ~ Poetic & Terse ~ Bright & Dull ~
~ Patient & Intolerant ~ Oblivious & Aware ~
~ Understanding & Incomprehension ~
~ Willing & Unwilling ~ Able & Unable ~
~ Living & Hiding ~
Memes encourage discovery:
Memes encourage reaching inside out:
Memes encourage finding hidden good in all:
only the good
Memes encourage architecture combined with nature:
one deep breath
Memes encourage thought:

It took binoculars to see you

Is Love Inevitable? We"ll know when its finished:

Is Love Inevitable? We"ll know when its finished:

June 1st we celebrated our 33rd anniversary by: